[READ THIS] Name Changes, New Blogs and Finding Myself
Life of Carbon is getting a name change! Wait, no. Life of Carbon is moving! Where to? Good question.
Warning: This is a serious post. Don’t worry though, I lightened it up with some of my favorite pictures.
About three months ago I sat down and decided to write a list of all of the awesome things I wanted to this summer. Number ten on that list was blog redesign. You can tell I was super committed to it because there’s a question mark at the end. At the time I just meant a new header and maybe some cute icons and if I was really feeling it maybe a more organized navigation bar or something like that. July went by and then during August I was too busy with VEDA to open up my photo editor and now that I finally have the time to sit down I’m starting to think that a new header and some cute icons might not be enough.
You see, during VEDA I was making a video every single day, but I didn’t feel it was right to post them here and now that I think back I’m not really sure why. It’s been almost a year since I started vlogging and I love it, but I’ve never felt that my videos had a home here which is ridiculous since it’s not like I’m posting incredibly different content there than I would here! And it’s not only my videos, I always feel weird whenever I want to write a post about some of my other passions like video games or social media. I always ask myself if they’re appropriate topics for this blog or if maybe I should just keep it to myself. Isn’t that ridiculous?
The more I thought about it the more I realized that as much as I love this blog I’m not really sure what it is and I’m pretty sure that’s what’s holding me back. So I decided to sit down and figure out exactly what I wanted this blog to become.
What this blog is to me – To tell you the truth, I’m not a hundred percent sure. So far I’ve posted DIYs, recipes, fashion/thrifting tips, personal posts, my life list, videos, book/movie reviews, guides and (currently) nail art plus a few more things I probably forgot to include. So why do I still feel limited? Why do I feel like I might not want to post a picture of my dog or a summary of my trip to the zoo?
What I want this blog to be - My homepage on the internet! I want this blog to be where people come when they want to see me, all of me! Sure, twitter is where people contact me, pinterest is where people can go see what I’m planning to make, youtube is where all of my videos are and both of my tumblrs are like little summaries of what I post here, but this blog should be the gold mine!
What I can do –
- Name Change: Wait, what? What does the name of my blog have anything to do with what I post? Well, it might seem a bit petty, but it means everything! Don’t get me wrong, I love Lifeofcarbon! Maybe a bit too much actually. Lifeofcarbon is beautiful, poetic, smart and sometimes it’s just a lot to live up to. I feel that when people come here they’ll expect a certain level of refinement and sometimes I just don’t have it in me. I know that this might just be something I feel and that people probably don’t put that much thought into the name of this blog, but it means something to me and I’m the one that’s writing!
- Layout Change: I love Pilcrow, it’s an amazing, versatile theme and even though I’ve had the itch to change it for the past few months I’ve always come back to it because no other (free) theme could live up to it. You see I’ve recently discovered the joy of making multiple posts per day, but I’m afraid to do it since an important post could become lost in the archive after a wave of shorter posts. So I’ve just been sitting back, hoping that WordPress would release a theme that would be as aesthetically pleasing as Pilcrow, but with a better showcase function so I could keep the posts I was super proud of on my front page. And it finally happened this past week! I’m really happy to be changing my theme to one with a magazine vibe since I feel like that’s what I want this blog to be, a magazine directed exactly at me!
- Post Whatever!: One of the main reasons I stop posting for large amounts of time (other than burnout, but more on that later) is that I’m way too concerned with what I’m posting. It’s not that I don’t actually have anything to post, it’s just that I don’t think I can post it. Earlier this week while I was catching up on all I’d missed during August I came across this amazing post by Young House Love (my blogging idols) about how they decide what to post and it stuck with me. Especially #5:
#5. Nothing is too small if you’re psyched to post about it. Try to have a no holds barred / no rules policy if you’re excited to share something (people can tell when you’re holding back and blogging can be a lot less satisfying if you are)… — Young House Love
- NO MORE SCHEDULES: Wait, what? Isn’t that like a cardinal sin of blogging? Usually the other reason why I stop posting for an extended amount of time is burnout and guess what causes that burnout? More often than not, me. How? With over-ambitious schedules. *Hides face in shame* I’m not saying schedules are a bad thing, most of the blogs and vloggers I love have pretty regular posting schedules it’s just I’m not very good at making them. So for now I’ll just take a page from YHL (same post) and figure out what my pace is before making an actual schedule.
#1. Find a pace that works for you. It’s probably one of the biggest “discoveries” that you’ll make along the way. Don’t worry, it’ll happen. Figuring out a pace that works for you will do two things: it’ll help your readers understand what to expect (thereby hopefully reducing your fear of the unknown as a new blogger) and you won’t feel rushed or bored (two things that can quickly kill a blog)… — Young House Love
So that’s it. Don’t think of this as me starting a new blog because I’m not. Sure, it technically is a new site, but I’m importing all of my old posts and all of your comments so it’s not like I’m starting from scratch! Making a new separate blog just makes it easy for me to redirect traffic. Wouldn’t want to create a huge trail of broken links, would we? The new icons and navigation will all come a little later when I’m feeling more settled in. For now the “new” blog will be more than enough.
What you can do -
- Follow my “new” blog: Go over to Mario Shut Up and click the follow button. Easy as that. That way you’ll be able to see all the content I’m putting out.
- Update your bookmarks/feed: If you keep up with me using a feed reader just click here and subscribe to my new feed. If you come here using a bookmark make sure to update it so that it takes you to the new address!
- Change your blog-rolls: If you are sweet and amazing enough to link to this blog please make sure to update the link there too! Also, thanks for being sweet and amazing. :3
- Keep being awesome.
As always, suggestions and advice are totally welcome! I look forward to this new adventure. :3