If you’ve been following this blog since the very beginning (or at least before this post), then you know that I am a very lazy individual. Not bad lazy, more like the everyman’s lazy. I just don’t like having to do more than what is necessary as long as I can get similar results by just sitting around. This principle extends to most parts of my life including breakfast, or should I say, especially breakfast.
Now, I am not really a breakfast kind of gal. Ever since I started school I have refrained from eating it regularly and even now that I’m home the majority of the time I don’t eat ’til the afternoon. I understand that this is bad and all the “breakfast being the most important meal of the day” crap, it’s just that after I wake up in the morning I’m not really in the mood to make anything and I hate cereal because it’s too sweet. I’m also not into frozen breakfast crap either because the entire point of actually eating breakfast is to be healthy and not to put on five extra pounds before the end of the year. To sum that all up I would rather watch Cake Boss than make myself some eggs or a pancake or a breakfast sandwich and I’m pretty sure that’s never going to change.
That being said the past few weeks have been really cold and since I refuse to turn the heat up because getting up would interrupt my laying down and being warm I have been searching for a warm breakfast that is healthy and makes me feel like I’m doing much more than just laying on the couch and making friends with mister Buddy Valastro. The answer: Steel Cut Oats. Yup, you heard me right. They’re healthy, they have this thing called “fiber” and they usually take 25-30 minutes to cook, but I do it in just 3. I am on top of the world, thanks for asking. :D
Now since it would be incredibly rude for me to keep this life changing breakfast to myself and since it’s already on the internet and I can’t really keep you from seeing it if you google it I will link you to it. Here: How to make breakfast for five days in five minutes via The Kitchn. :)
Some Tips From Me:
- I didn’t leave the jars out overnight because reading the comments on that post made me feel very paranoid. I left the jars out for two hours, just enough for them to be cool and then I put them in the fridge. It worked out great because my oats had some bite to them, just the way I like them. :D
- I added some milk to the oats before reheating them in the microwave because I don’t like my oatmeal super thick, I like it nice and kind of runny.
Some things I would suggest you add to your oatmeal:
- frozen strawberries and heavy cream
- maple syrup and cut up bits of bacon (that or sausage)
- cinnamon, raisins and some brown sugar <3
- your favorite jam :9
- Miscellaneous nuts and dried fruits
What about you? Do you hate breakfast as much as I do or do you eat it everyday without fail? Do you have an easy, fail-proof recipe? Please share!
PS: I will add pictures later. I can’t find the usb cord for my camera.